Dear President-elect Obama,

By Richard Land
Nov 6, 2008

First, congratulations on your successful campaign to become the 44th President of our beloved United States of America. This was a historic election in terms of the massive increase in voter participation as a percentage of the electorate.

I hope you know that there are tens of millions of Americans who did not vote for you who are still very, very pleased that an African-American has been elected President of the United States.

The fact that this could happen in a country with as tragic a racial past as America’s says something noble and fine about the American experiment and the glorious “opportunity democracy” it has spawned. After much struggle, we as a nation have chosen together to live up to the promises of our founding document, the Declaration of Independence: “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”

For those of us who came of age during the Civil Rights Era and were inspired by Dr. King, it is very gratifying to watch our nation elect a person of color to the highest political office in the land, even someone for whom they may not have voted because of serious policy differences.

Mr. President-elect, the Bible exhorts us to pray for “kings and all who are in authority” (1 Tim. 2:1-2). We, therefore, covenant to pray for you, your family, and your administration. We will pray that God will grant you godly wisdom in all your decision-making. We pray with faith and confidence that “the king’s heart is in the hand of the Lord, as the rivers of water; he turneth it whithersoever he will” (Prov. 21:1).

On issues which involve moral and ethical values, we will both pray for you and exhort you to apply biblical principles and values as you make policy decisions which will impact the families of America and the world. We will also pray that God will bless you with safety, health and all spiritual blessings.

On issues where we agree, such as standing against genocide in Darfur and protecting basic human rights around the world, we will support you.

On issues where we disagree with the approach your administration takes, we will do our best to persuade you to change your approach. When we are unsuccessful, we will stand by our convictions and will exercise our God-given responsibilities and Constitutionally-protected right to work for alternative solutions which are more in accord with our convictions.

Southern Baptists remain unalterably committed to the protection of unborn human life. The vast majority of Southern Baptists believe that a pre-born baby is a distinct human life, according to both science and the Bible (Ps. 51:5; Ps. 139-13-16; Jer. 1:5; Luke 1:41). The euphemism of “choice” or “reproductive freedom” cannot disguise or justify killing a baby. Government has a proper role in protecting lives, including the lives of the unborn. Southern Baptists, by national resolutions, have opposed abortion on demand, and have called for public policies which severely restrict abortion and which promote alternatives such as adoption.

Mr. President-elect, you have said you want to unite us as a nation. An excellent place to work for such unity and consensus on the life issue would be for you to put your full and vigorous support behind the Democrats for Life House Caucus initiative known as the Pregnant Women Support Act or the 95-10 Initiative (because its goal is to reduce abortion by 95% over a ten-year period).

This bill (H.R. 3192 and S. 2407), sponsored in the last Congress by Rep. Lincoln Davis (D-TN) and Sen. Robert Casey (D-PA), would, among other things:

• Establish a toll-free number to direct women to places that will provide support during and following their pregnancy;
  • Fund collection of accurate data on abortion;
  • Provide child care to low-income and student parents;
  • Provide parenting education in maternity group homes;
  • Make the Adoption Tax Credits permanent;
  • Ensure that pregnant women are not denied health care by insurance companies and that coverage is continued for newborns;
  • Codify the regulation that extends coverage under the State Children’s Health Insurance Program (SCHIP) to low-income pregnant women and unborn children;
  • Improve services for pregnant women who are victims of domestic violence;
  • Provide services to parents receiving a positive test diagnosis for Down syndrome or other prenatally diagnosed conditions;
  • Increase funding for the Women, Infants and Children (WIC) Nutrition Program;
  • Provide grants to institutions of higher education to fund pregnant and parenting student services;
  • Provide new mothers with free home visits by registered nurses.

All of these measures would help fulfill the pledge made in the 2008 Democratic Party platform, which “strongly supports a woman’s decision to have a child by ensuring access to and availability of programs for pre- and post-natal health care, parenting skills, income support, and caring adoption programs.”

Mr. President-elect, America needs moral conviction, not moral neutrality. America’s children need a model of leadership committed both to excellence and to virtue. May God help you, Mr. President-elect, and make you that leader. And may God bless America!

Yours in His service,

Richard Land

The Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission works to protect the sanctity of human life by supporting bills such as the Pregnant Women Support Act. If you would like to learn more about this issue, additional resources are available here. If your church is interested in purchasing bulletin inserts or other materials on the sanctity of human life, please visit our online bookstore and erlc.com.

Learn more about: Citizenship, Christian Citizenship, , , National,

1 On Nov 6, 2008, at 12:48am, Pastor Andy Thomas wrote:

Thank you, sir, for your graciousness, wisdom, and straight biblical response to our new president elect.  I will read this before our congregation, Lord willing, this Sunday Nov. 9th, 2008.  Thank you for your committment to our Lord, His Word, His church, and His Mission.  God Bless you… keep up the good work.

Pastor Andy Thomas
Calvary Baptist Church, Delta, CO http://www.cbdelta.com

2 On Nov 6, 2008, at 1:33am, Pastor Jerry McCullah wrote:

Thank you so much for leading the way for future dialogs with our new president.  In a certain sense, I add my name to the signature of that letter.  Continue to lead us to the way which is right in God’s sight.

3 On Nov 6, 2008, at 1:40am, Vince Eccles wrote:

I thank you also, sir, for your graciousness.  Though I attend a Southern Baptist congregation I am generally at odds with many of your political stands (fairness doctrine, wealthy-oriented tax policy, militaristic foreign policy, etc.).  However, this letter is beautiful and I fully agree with every sentence.  I do pray that our nation can do the things we need to do to reduce abortion by 95% in the years ahead.  What a blessing this would be for us all!

4 On Nov 6, 2008, at 1:42am, Frank Johnson wrote:

Dear Dr. Land, This is well-stated and timely. My prayers will attend its course. God bless, Frank Johnson

5 On Nov 6, 2008, at 1:46am, Amy W. wrote:

Thank you so much for articulating what many of us wish to express to president-elect Obama. Thank you for your example of what it means to be a Christian in today’s culture.

I, too, will stand in prayer for our president-elect and our country.

6 On Nov 6, 2008, at 1:52am, Robert Warmath wrote:

Thank you, Dr. Land.  As usual you are right on traget biblically and using great wisdom as you address the President-elect, chalenging him to uphold the policies of his own party.  I was unaware that the democratic party had in this instance made such a life-affirming attempt to counterbalance the culture of death that has pervaded our land for over 35 years!  Thank you for your great leadership in the vital area of ethics and religious liberty.  I am reporducing your letter and making it available to our members tonight as well as on Sunday when I will be out of town.

Pastor Robert Warmath
Skyline Baptist Church,
El Paso, Texas

7 On Nov 6, 2008, at 1:54am, Roger Willmore wrote:

Dr. Land,

I will be using your comments to the new president elect in our midweek prayer meeting tonight.  My people prayed earnestly that Mr.Obama would not be elected solely on the basis of his liberal, non-Christian views.

Thank you the spirit of your congratulations to Mr. Obama.  It models for me an attitude I need to have.  Thank you for pointing out that his election does mark a great day in American history that an African American can be elected president.  I agree with you.

Dr. Land, I, along with hundreds of pastors across the SBC are going to need your guidance in how to respond to the new politics of this administration.  It appears, from the campaign comments, that Mr.Obama endorses everything that God condemns.

I am committed to being an involved citizen of this great country…will you assist me in knowing what steps to take next?

Roger Willmore, President
Alabama Baptist State Convention,
Pastor, Deerfoot Baptist Church

8 On Nov 6, 2008, at 3:00am, Susan Beyer wrote:

So many have expressed deep concern by our nation’s choice of a leader so opposite of God’s word on the abortion issue—especially his legislative stand regarding the lives of abortion survivors. Lord help him to rethink those ideas! Thank you for your thoughtful and pointed letter to president-elect Obama now. Many of us are praying for him and his family. Praying also that we the Church will be less self-focused and more watchful and prayerful in the days and times ahead. Lord bless you and your future communications with those who would lead us now.

Susan Meredith Beyer
Nashville TN

9 On Nov 6, 2008, at 3:43am, Dr. Nick Holloway wrote:

Dr. Land, thanks for expressing many people’s sentiments from such a position people listen to daily.  We must strive for a 100% reversal of abortions, not just 95% in ten years.  The Roe v. Wade must be totalls reversed.  Regardless of how a girl may have gotten pregnant, the public as a whole must support the continued life of the unborn.
Again thanks.

NICK HOLLOWAY, DMin, Pastor, Petty Baptist Church, Petty, Texas

10 On Nov 6, 2008, at 3:46am, Elizabeth Plants wrote:

Dr. Land,
Thank you for your letter to our President-Elect Obama.  You put into words the way I am feeling.
I also covenant to pray for President-Elect Obama.

Thank you for expressing my feelings and views as a Christian women.

11 On Nov 6, 2008, at 5:19am, Jerry Wilkinson wrote:

You raise the bar high for our conduct after this historic election. We need to follow your outstanding example. I thank God for the privilege God has given us in men like you to lead our generation of believers.

12 On Nov 6, 2008, at 5:48am, Phillip Herring wrote:

Dr. Land,

Well said.  Thanks for being a consistent voice for Southern Baptist in DC.  I look forward to seeing how we will be able to find ways of working to support life with this new administration.  I appreciate you stating clearly how we will respond where we differ.

13 On Nov 6, 2008, at 5:54am, Jim Clayton wrote:

Dr. Land,

Thank you for the excellent way you phrased this leeter to our new President-elect.  You said exactly what I would like to say, if given the opportunity.  Our church will continue to pray for President-elect Obama, as we have prayed for President George Bush.  And, we will continue to depend on men of God like you, to provide leadership for us in the days to come.

Blessings,

Jim Clayton, Pastor
Dixie Lee Baptist Church
Lenoir City, TN

14 On Nov 6, 2008, at 8:52am, Grover Weaver wrote:

I’m an old school black preacher who believes everything written in the bible.  Life is holy and only God and his mandates can take it I’ve watched my fundamentalist white brethren lift up their voices in support of the unborn yet are silent when it come to the living. Many times I ask myself, where is the mercy and the money for the child that makes it out of the womb.

My daughter encouraged me to be fair and take a look at Barack Obama—President-elect Obama and the Democrats want to find common ground that will save the life of the unborn. Therefore, I was proud to cast my vote in this historical campaign for the black man who will be the next commander-in-chief of the only super power on the face of the earth.

Thank you Dr.Land for your willingness to advocate for the Party’s platform by doing so you put ‘country first.’

My God bless you both.

15 On Nov 6, 2008, at 3:03pm, Cathy Hayes wrote:

Dear Dr. Land, I too, thank you for your gracious letter to the new president of our very unique country, in that we were founded on Judeo-Christian principles.  I will be praying for our new president especially in matters of the heart in accordance with God’s Word.  Your letter brings me comfort.  As one pastor above mentioned, I did not know the Democratic party had a plan to reduce abortions - and by such a huge percent.  That brings me comfort too.  The Christians of America must all come together with one voice on this very important issue. I promise to do my part by staying aware and involved.  I promise not to sleep at the wheel as I have for too many of my Christian years.  If nothing else, this election has already brought many of us together and given us a wake up call.

16 On Nov 6, 2008, at 4:00pm, Buck Golden wrote:

Great comments but you left out a few things:

The need to adequately fund family planning programs so they can provide contraception that will prevent unintended pregnancy thus preventing abortions.

The need to turn away from abstinence only education programs and fund comprehensive sex education so young people have enough scientific information to make informed and responsible decisions.  These decisions may include but are not limited to abstinence.

The need to subject crisis pregnancy centers to the same regulatory standards that apply to other health care providers even though they only promote the myth that they provide health care.

17 On Nov 6, 2008, at 4:39pm, Olin Marlin Maide wrote:

Dr. Land, We seem to be a people bent on treating the symptom and not the cause. The cause of our national abortion policy is the Christian community that repeatedly votes for the side that advocate this Godless solution to unfettered immorality. It is a sad but true commentary that many Southern Baptists fall in that community. Jesus tells us in Matthew 12:34-37 that we are held to account for every idle word we set forth; idle signifies those acts we perform by habit or tradition without consideration to the word of God. Every act we perform is tantamount to speaking a position. When we buy a ticket to a Hollywood film, we tell that producer we approve of his film whatever its content; when we buy a product, we tell the manufacturer we approve of the product and when we cast a vote we tell that party their positions.

Can God bless the people and nation that blatantly support the Godless tenets of this world?

Pastor Olin Maide
California Baptist Church
California PA

18 On Nov 6, 2008, at 5:51pm, Pastor Gerald R. Clevenger wrote:

Thank you Dr. Land for the well crafted letter of wisdom and encouragement to our new President Elect. My people have asked me, “Now what do we do?” My answer has been, “lift him up to the Lord in your prayers.” I will encourage my people this Sunday to be in prayer for Obama and his administration as he leads our nation for the next four years.

I will make copies of this letter for our people to pick up this Sunday. You represented our Southern Baptist Convention well and made me proud once again to be a Southern Baptist. Thanks Again for your letter.

Pastor Gerald R. Clevenger
Lighthouse Baptist Fellowship (Medina, Oh)

19 On Nov 6, 2008, at 6:55pm, Jolene Atkins wrote:

Dear Dr. Land:

What a beautiful letter.  It is filled with wisdom.  I pray that it will be read in the same good spirit in which it was written.  I will be praying that President-elect Obama will be open to God’s leading and that God will give him discernment.

Thank you again.

Sincerely,

Jolene Atkins

20 On Nov 6, 2008, at 7:38pm, Patrick Altman wrote:

Amen, brother!

21 On Nov 7, 2008, at 12:59am, J. Jean Green wrote:

Dear Dr. Land,

This is a beautiful letter and we will join you in praying for our President Elect.

The twelve suggestions at the end are long overdue.  We MUST take care of the living who are often in our foster systems or children,s home.

Thanks again for all you do.

22 On Nov 7, 2008, at 1:22am, Beverly Adams wrote:

Dear Dr. Land,
  What an interesting, and rather shocking, letter to President-elect Obama. And congratulations, America, for voting into office the first African-American president. Congratulations, America, for putting aside racism, for beginning reparations to the black community for the hideous sin of slavery. Congratulations, America, for putting aside previous held convictions and values to put an African-American into office. Congratulations, America, on the pride we feel in the election of this man. We as a nation are proud to have overlooked that millions more unborn babies will die,  businesses will be taxed into oblivion, welfare will increase, our enemies will no longer fear us,.. but I digress.  All that does not matter anymore. What matters is that we elected this African- American. Now don’t we feel good.

23 On Nov 7, 2008, at 1:34am, Carol Goettl, Inver Grove Hts Minnesota wrote:

Thank you, Dr. Land, for your pleas to President-Elect Obama to try to turn his attention to the evils of aborion on demand, now allowed throughout ALL of pregnancy up to the very last day day by the horrible use by the method of partial birth abortion.  I am happy to see that some of our Protestant brothers are joining with Catholics all around our country to end abortion.  As a Catholic, I and all Catholics are called to resist the call to abortion and to do all in our power, from sidewalk counseling to endless prayer, to end it. God bless you and your fellow Baptists.

24 On Nov 7, 2008, at 5:48am, Terri wrote:

Dear Dr. Land:

Thank you for your letter.  I read it first on Sojourners and came to your site to read it in full.
To be honest, I generally do not agree with you on much, politically or theologically, but I so appreciate the spirit in which this letter was written. I pray for more civil discourse such as this.

I have been and continue to be a strong Obama supporter, and have not found much welcome among a certain group of my brothers and sisters in Christ.  This feels like an olive branch, not just to President-elect Obama, but to all Christians, even if we do not agree politically.  I pray God uses this time to bring all of us together, at home and abroad.  The conversation among Christians has become so divisive during this election cycle, this is a breath of fresh air.

Thank you for your willingness to write such an open invitation for dialogue.

Peace and blessings,
Terri
St. Louis MO

25 On Nov 7, 2008, at 7:48pm, Sister Cathy wrote:

Thank you for your beautiful letter to our new president.  I hope he heeds the call! We must pray!  Let’s not fall asleep Christians!  Let’s watch and pray!
If we are silenced, who will speak for the unborn -those without a voice?  What choice do they have? Please stop listening to that lie, that says it is a woman’s choice. There are 4,000 abortions every day and the majority are performed on black mothers.  The current statistics show that slightly more black children are aborted than are being born. Please, Christians, wake up to this holocaust.  Our pocket change is not nearly as important as those who are being knit in that secret place by our God! There is not one president who will ever save you financially!  God does not look at the color of one’s skin, but the condition of one’s heart!  He is our Provider!

26 On Nov 7, 2008, at 10:04pm, Lisa Rogers wrote:

Thank you for writing this letter.  -Lisa in Lexington, KY

27 On Nov 8, 2008, at 6:18pm, Diane McCabe wrote:

In response to Mr. Weaver I would ask if in your decision to vote for Obama you looked at his record on votes concerning abortion?  If you had, you would have seen that there is no common ground between what he has voted for and what God says about the value of human lives.  I don’t care what color his skin is or is not, the man’s record stands for itself.  He will even allow babies who are born alive out of an abortion to die.  There is no common ground with a person who blatantly goes against God’s word and allows death to come to the unborn.  The only option is to not allow abortion. You contradict yourself in your letter saying you believe only God can give life and then cast your vote for a man who has voted and will continue to vote for abortion.  Beverly Adams and Pastor Maide are right.  We fool ourselves into thinking this country is past racism and that God will bless us.

28 On Nov 8, 2008, at 7:48pm, Sam Adams wrote:

It is obvious how the current watered-down gospel has infiltrated the body of Christ.  Instead of holding to truth, we now are more concerned with making the lost feel good and appeasing the enemy so they can come and join us as we celebrate ourselves.  Let’s be proud of ourselves for electing a black man as our leader even though he is against every moral value we as Christians should hold to.  The real congratulations should go to our country for the Golden Calf you just elected/erected in office.  Lets hope the “wandering in the wilderness” will only be 4 years instead of 40.  Just remember, religious liberty is the right for all to worship God.  It is not the liberty to decide which moral absolutes we should follow.

29 On Nov 8, 2008, at 7:57pm, Shelby Handy wrote:

Thank you, Dr. Land, for a well formed letter to our President elect.  We as Christians must now pray, pray, and pray more for Obama and his leadership.  We cannot be idle and continue seeing our country spiral downward in moral and spiritual decay.  God has promised to hear our prayers if we will humble ourselves before Him and lift up our concerns.  He will heal our nation but we must first surrender our concerns to Him.  He, and He alone, will save our nation…not a new president, white or black.

30 On Nov 8, 2008, at 11:09pm, Curtis Gordon Pastor Wichita Bible Holiness Church wrote:

Dr. Land, I appreciate your gracious, yet firm stand with President Elect Barack Obama. I am pleased to know the fight will go on . I hold you and all other’s in the battle front in high esteem and in prayer. May God richly reward you for your boldness in this open letter. I applaud and support your conclusions

31 On Nov 9, 2008, at 7:09pm, Robert Vincent wrote:

This was a wonderfully written letter.  I felt there was prayer behind the priorities within the pages of the letter.  Many of us have continued to pray that God will use whomever serves as leader of this nation.  My finite wisdom does not allow me to know God’s plan for America.  However, I know what God has asked me to do as his child.

Romans 8:28
RE Vincent

32 On Nov 10, 2008, at 5:14am, David Floyd wrote:

Dr. Land,

It’s interesting that shortly after reading your letter I read that John Podesta, Obama’s transition chief, said Sunday that Obama is reviewing President Bush’s executive orders perhaps reversing Bush administration policies on stem cell research. Podesta said the president could use such orders to move quickly on his own to make an immediate impact when he takes office.

Although your letter is gracious and conciliatory, if these reports are true it would appear the handlers for our next president have not presented your letter to him, or he has chosen to ignore it.

This could be one of his first tests for the new president to show Christians whether he kneels before the cross or walks on it.

I pray that God will continue to bless you with wisdom, health and endurance because I believe we will be in for a long hard fight.

May God continue to bless you and the United States of America.

33 On Nov 10, 2008, at 11:57pm, The Rev. Grover Weaver, 1016 E. Arlington Ave. , F wrote:

In respone to Sister Diane McCabe I’ve learned from the life of Paul the higher up a man goes the farther he can see. Grace allows me to see through the eyes of hope what once was does not have to always be.

After pray, my daughter’s dare, a Google’s search, and Mr. Obama’s statement: “no one want an abortion” is the common ground. When Paul went to ‘Mara Hill’ he sought common ground in his sermon and did not choose to highlight the differents.

Can we go and do likewise?

34 On Nov 11, 2008, at 12:08am, Dan Martin wrote:

Dr. Land, thank you for your letter.  I am troubled by many of the responses.

Being “pro-life” is much more than opposing abortion.  Abortion rates declined more during the 90s far more than since 2000.  Nevertheless, under President Bush a large number of already-born civilians died in our wars, and the “pro-life” community was silent.

As a Christian, I voted for Obama, not because I believe in all his policies but because I believe that there will be less blood on American hands—actual innocent lives taken (pre-born AND post-born)—under Obama than under McCain.

Until we consistently stand for the sanctity of all human life—including “enemies,” “collateral damage,” and the poor and oppressed around the world, AND the unborn—we will have no credibility with a world who sees the blatant contrast between the Jesus of the Scriptures, and modern-day Pharisees who loudly proclaim His name.

35 On Nov 11, 2008, at 4:17am, Mark Marshall wrote:

Richard,

Well said. I am proud to say, “I am Richard Land’s pastor”. May God grant you wisdom to continue to lobby on our behalf. And may He grant you unequaled access to this new White House leadership!

Mark Marshall

36 On Nov 11, 2008, at 5:04am, Brent Kompelien wrote:

I am disturbed by how divisive this conversation has become. Here’s the problem I see with all this: the moment we rely on political power to advance Godly values, we have missed the redeeming message of Jesus Christ.

Putting our trust in a worldly power to transform the lives of people is a trap set by the evil one. It is these systems of power where greed, self-interest, and division occur. Jesus explicitly denied political power in his ministry. If Christians are relying on the United States government to maintain Godly values in our culture, its NEVER going to happen.

to be continued…

37 On Nov 11, 2008, at 5:11am, Brent Kompelien wrote:

...continued from above

Jesus is King! That is the final verdict. We need to deal with these issues in loving relationship with people. For example, we need to raise our children with a healthy understanding of sex and relationships. Instead of ignoring these issues with our kids, we need to have relevant discussions that allow kids to understand the value of relationships and fragility of our sexual purity. Mentoring kids will prevent more poor decisions than any scary anti-abortion law.

Simply put, we need to be challenged not to place our faith in the principalities and powers of this world. As seen in the comments section of this blog, this only divides Christians at the very moment we need to be “like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose.” (Phil 2:2) We need to unify under the banner of love, Jesus Christ, in order to tackle the tough issues of our day; not under the banner of Barack Obama, John McCain, or any other principality or power.

38 On Nov 13, 2008, at 12:48am, Cathy Hayes wrote:

Brent Kompelien’s comment is very eye-opening for me.  However, I wonder, does this mean that Christians, other than obeying the law and carrying out their civic duty by voting, should stay out of politics?  What is it we should do? I know we should pray, love, and tell others about Christ, but do you think that should be it?  Or am I misinterpreting what was said?

39 On Nov 13, 2008, at 7:00pm, Linda Lowber wrote:

Dear Dr. Land,
Thank you for such a forthright letter to President-elect Obama.  I wasn’t aware of the Pregnant Women
Support Act or the 95-10 Initiative.
For several years, I volunteered at a crisis pregnancy
center that was at one time next door to an abortion
clinic in Okla. City.  I have seen the physical, mental,
spiritual and emotional effects of abortion.
We were able to share our faith openly and many of
our clients chose life for their babies rather than
abortion.
  I would like to share a website that offers a prayer
guide 10 ways to Pray for Barack Obama. It is
fireinmybones.com/Columns & archive 11/7/2008.

May II Chronicles 7:14 be on the lips of every
believer every day and we will see the power of God
manifested.
As a fellow Southern Baptist, thank you for voicing
what so many of us want to say to those whose hearts
and minds still need to be changed on the issue of
abortion.

God bless you,
Linda Lowber
Harrah, Ok.

40 On Nov 14, 2008, at 1:05am, Brent Kompelien wrote:

Cathy Hayes,

In response to your comment, I have a few thoughts. I am not advocating whether participation in democratic government is the right thing to do or not. As Christians, we should be fighting for the poor, helping the helpless, and releasing the captives. If your vote helps this cause, then you should exercise that option. But you must understand that earthly governments, such as the US, will never accomplish the goals of Godly living. Earthly principalities are based on the same fallen premise: selfish ambition.

As Christians, we must realize that the primary force for God’s work on earth is the Body of Believers through the Holy Spirit. That does not mean that we as Christians are supposed to then use politics to accomplish the values set forth by our Lord. Instead, like Jesus, we are to love our brothers and sister (no matter who they are) and allow the Spirit of God to transform people’s lives through loving relationship.

to be continued…

41 On Nov 14, 2008, at 1:11am, Brent Kompelien wrote:

Continued from above…

This grassroots revolution is like yeast and like a mustard seed (Luke 13:18-21). We are to plant these seeds through every decision, every relationship, every moment of our lives. Jesus over and over again denied political power because he knew that forcing people to maintain a Godly lifestyle through laws and statutes would never truly transform their hearts and lives. The Kingdom of God is established through loving relationships. To use politics to force Christian values on the rest of society is just like the legalistic sacrificial system of the Israelites.

Blessings,
Brent

PS: Great book recommendations on this topic: “Myth of a Christian Nation” by Greg Boyd, “Jesus for President” by Shane Claiborne, “God’s Politics” by Jim Wallis

42 On Nov 18, 2008, at 2:26am, eric wrote:

Dr. Land:

You seem to be under the misconception that it is the mandate of the government of the Republic to uphold the tenets of your faith. It is not. It is the duty of the government to defend and uphold the Constitution of the Republic, in accordance with such laws as Congress has enacted or shall enact. It’s called government of the people, by the people, for the people.

ANY inclusion of Christian, or any other religious doctrine would be an abrogation of sworn duty.

Mr. Obama will swear on the Bible to uphold the Constitution. He will not swear on the Constitution to uphold the Bible.

Your ‘My way or the highway’ approach belies any conciliatory message.

43 On Nov 18, 2008, at 2:28am, Judith Robl wrote:

Just found this letter.  Bravo!  I will convenant with you to pray for the president-elect.  Just wrote the same a few days ago to a friend in a Christian writers’ group to which we both belong.

Grace and peace,

44 On Nov 18, 2008, at 6:41pm, Cathy Hayes wrote:

Brett, thank you for your insight.  Most appreciated! I will be praying for our government and I will be looking for more opportunities to share the Gospel.  I know we are all called to do that!

45 On Dec 12, 2008, at 8:59pm, James Reeves wrote:

Mr. President will be all our president but when he takes office he will need the prayers and support of all Christians And that will be reflected through the oath of his office.
We can start now it just might help us all to get ahead of the curve.
Change comes from the heart and thats an area God is the soul(sole) ruler in.

James Reeves