What's going on?
In 2009, President Obama signed into law The Patient Protection & Affordable Care Act (PPACA), popularly known as Obamacare. With the authority granted it under PPACA, The U.S. Department of Heath & Human Services (HHS) has mandated that all government approved health plans cover FDA-approved contraception, including abortion-causing drugs.
On June 28, 2012, the Supreme Court decision to uphold PPACA leaves the authority of HHS and the mandate intact.
For some employers this requirement begins during their next fiscal year. For others, there is up to a 1 year delay, but the mandate remains in full force under federal law. Your church or religious institution may be effected.
Why does this matter?
This is not about contraceptives. Most Southern Baptists accept the use of non-abortive contraceptives within marriage. The HHS mandate, however, requires that all insurance plans make available abortion-causing products. This means 3 things for employers, including religious organizations:
- Employers are required to provide insurance plans that violate their religious beliefs and
- Either the employers or the employees will be required to pay for these products through their premium payments.
- Privately owned businesses must comply with the mandate on any plan beginning on or after August 1, 2012, regardless the religious convictions of the owners.
- Evidence: Multiple lawsuits filed by for-profit companies including Tyndale Publishers, Hobby Lobby, an HVAC manufacturer and a lumber company.
OK, but how bad is it, really?
- (One example...) ObamaCare Automatic Enrollment of Minors - ADF
What can I do? (examples)
- October 20 Rallies - StandUpForReligiousFreedom.com
- After the rallies - StandUpForReligiousFreedom.com
- What You Can Do to Promote Religious Freedom - The Heritage Foundation
- Letter from Bishop Lori to Americans of faith
- Let Religious Freedom Ring: Stop the Assault on Our First Freedom - The Heritage Foundation
- Tips for Non-profit Employers - Gammon & Grace Law Alert
- ERLC comment submitted to HHS on the February "accommodation"
- ERLC joins legal battle against HHS mandate
- The FAQs: The Contraceptive-Abortifacient Mandate - Joe Carter via The Gospel Coalition
- Coalition Letter to HHS Secretary Sebelius - (Signers include the ERLC)
- ERLC FACT SHEET: The Obama administration’s contraceptives mandate (PDF Version 52 KB)
- ADF FACT SHEET: ObamaCare and its Mandates Fact Sheet (PDF)
- How Will the Supreme Court’s Decision Impact the HHS Mandate? - Becket Fund
- HHS Mandate Information Central - Becket Fund (35+ law suits files by over 100 plaintiffs from across the country.)