Resources: The HHS Mandate
Help us protect the freedom of religion & conscience for all Americans
What’s going on?
In 2009, President Obama signed into law The Patient Protection & Affordable Care Act (PPACA or ACA). With the authority granted it under the ACA, The U.S. Department of Heath & Human Services (HHS) has mandated that all government approved health plans cover FDA-approved contraception, including abortion-causing drugs.
On June 28, 2012, the Supreme Court decision to uphold PPACA leaves the authority of HHS and the mandate intact.
In the instances of for-profit employers this requirement began for benefit plan years beginning on or after August 1, 2012. For non-profits the mandate kicks in for benefit plan years beginning on or after January 1, 2014. Your church or religious institution or other non-profit may be affected.
Why does this matter?
This is not about contraceptives. Most Southern Baptists accept the use of non-abortive contraceptives within marriage. The HHS mandate, however, requires that all insurance plans make available abortion-causing products. This means 3 things for employers, including religious organizations:
- Employers are required to provide insurance plans that violate their religious beliefs and
- Either the employers or the employees will be required to pay for these products through their premium payments.
- Privately owned businesses must comply with the mandate on any plan beginning on or after August 1, 2012, regardless the religious convictions of the owners.
- Evidence: Multiple lawsuits filed by for-profit companies including Tyndale Publishers, Hobby Lobby, an HVAC manufacturer and a lumber company.
OK, but how bad is it, really?
- (One example…) ObamaCare Automatic Enrollment of Minors – ADF
What can I do? (examples)
- What You Can Do to Promote Religious Freedom – The Heritage Foundation
- Letter from Bishop Lori to Americans of faith
- Let Religious Freedom Ring: Stop the Assault on Our First Freedom – The Heritage Foundation
- Tips for Non-profit Employers – Gammon & Grace Law Alert
- Multi-faith open letter: Open letter: Standing together for religious freedom
- Remarks prepared by Russell D. Moore at the National Press Club – July 2, 2013
- REVISED: ERLC FACT SHEET: The Obama administration’s contraceptives mandate (PDF Version 52 KB)
- ERLC comment submitted to HHS on the February “accommodation”
- ERLC joins legal battle against HHS mandate
- The FAQs: The Contraceptive-Abortifacient Mandate – Joe Carter via The Gospel Coalition
- Coalition Letter to HHS Secretary Sebelius – (Signers include the ERLC)
- ADF FACT SHEET: ObamaCare and its Mandates Fact Sheet (PDF)
- How Will the Supreme Court’s Decision Impact the HHS Mandate? – Becket Fund
- HHS Mandate Information Central – Becket Fund (35+ law suits files by over 100 plaintiffs from across the country.)