Each August, we take a break from our usual policy focused conversations and host interviews with leaders we admire. This week, Jeff Pickering sits down with retired NFL player Benjamin Watson, who is now an author, activist, and documentary filmmaker. Watson is also a man of deep Christian faith and a faithful family man.
Benjamin Watson and his wife, Kirsten, are the parents of seven children as well as the founders of One More, a foundation aiming to spread the love and hope of Christ by meeting real needs, promoting education, and supporting local charities. As a retired tight end, Watson is now an ESPN and NFL Network and a prolific media cultural commentator. Watson’s illustrious football career included being the 32nd overall pick in the 2004 NFL Draft, a Superbowl 39 champion his rookie season, a finalist for the Walter Payton Man of the Year award. Watson has also authored two books, Under Our Skin and The New Dad’s Playbook, and is the producer of a forthcoming documentary, titled, Divided Hearts of America.
Resources from the Conversation
- Benjamin Watson’s Website
- Benjamin’s books | Under Our Skin + The New Dad’s Playbook
- Benjamin’s documentary | Divided Hearts of America
- Listen to a conversation with Watson at MLK50 | The State of Racial Tension in America
- Listen to a keynote Watson gave at EFL 2018 | Pro-Life and Pro-Justice
- Benjamin’s viral Facebook post from 2014 after the Michael Brown shooting in Ferguson
- Subscribe to ERLC’s Policy Newsletter
- Subscribe to ERLC’s The Weekly