Jeff Pickering and Travis Wussow welcome Dr. Kevin Smith to the podcast to talk about the killing of Ahmaud Arbery in Georgia and why Christians should lament this tragedy and work to seek justice in their communities.
This episode is sponsored by The Good Book Company, publisher of Talking Points: Abortion by Dr Lizzie Ling & Vaughan Roberts.
Dr. Kevin Smith leads the staff of the Baptist Convention of Maryland/Delaware. He has experience as a pastor, chaplain, church planter, conference speaker, and short-term missionary. He has studied at Hampton University, the Church of God Theological Seminary, and The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, subsequently serving on Southern’s faculty for over a decade. In 2015, while serving the Highview Baptist Church in Louisville (KY), he was elected president of the Kentucky Baptist Convention. Kevin and his wife, Patricia, have three adult children and two great-nephews. His hobbies include whatever sports his kids were playing and riding his Harley-Davidson motorcycle. His ministry is animated by Jesus’ prayer for the unity of His followers in John 17.
Resources from the Conversation
- Connect with Dr. Smith on Twitter @smithbaptist
- Learn more about the Baptist Convention of Maryland/Delaware
- Listen to the New York Time’s The Daily episode on the shooting of Arbery
- Listen to Slate’s What Next episode on the corruption of justice in this case
- Read the AJC explainer | What we know so far about the Ahmaud Arbery shooting
- Read Russell Moore’s article | The Killing of Ahmaud Arbery and the Justice of God
- Read Baptist Press report by Diana Chandler | Video of Ahmaud Arbery shooting inflames tensions in south Georgia town
- Read The Dispatch explainer by David French | A Vigilante Killing in Georgia
- Subscribe to the ERLC’s Capitol Conversations