The lame duck session of the 115th Congress is underway. On this week’s episode the ERLC policy team discusses the organization’s legislative priorities which include repealing the new tax on churches that resulted from the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017, the First Step Act, an important criminal justice reform bill that recently gained the support of the White House, and the Conscience Protection Act, a religious liberty protection for healthcare professionals.
Chelsea Patterson Sobolik serves as a policy director in the Washington, D.C., office of the ERLC. Previously, she worked in the U.S. House of Representatives on pro-life policies, domestic and international religious freedom, adoption, and foster care issues. Chelsea is the author of Longing for Motherhood – Holding onto Hope in the Midst of Childlessness. She has a B.A. in International Relations from Liberty University, and lives in Washington, D.C., with her husband Michael.
Resources from the Conversation
- Russell Moore’s op-ed in The Wall Street Journal | "Stop the Tax on Houses of Worship"
- ERLC article by Joe Carter | "What you should know about the FIRST STEP Act"
- ERLC Policy Brief | ERLC Supports Technical Fix of Tax Law on Church Parking Taxation
- ERLC letter | Coalition Letter on Tax Repeal
- ERLC Podcast episode | Capitol Conversations | Chelsea Patterson Sobolik on childlessness and the church
- ERLC Conference | 2019 Evangelicals For Life