In 2018 our nation said goodbye to four American heroes. This week we mourn the passing of the 41st President of the United States, George H.W. Bush. He was preceded in death this year by his wife of 73 years —former First Lady Barbara Bush, U.S. Senator John McCain, and the Rev. Billy Graham. Russell Moore and Dan Darling join Jeff Pickering to reflect on these towering leaders who shaped generations of politics, culture, and world events.
Russell Moore serves as the eighth president of the Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention. The Wall Street Journal has called Moore “vigorous, cheerful, and fiercely articulate.” He was named in 2017 to Politico Magazine’s list of fifty influence-makers in Washington and has been profiled by such publications as the Washington Post, the New Yorker, and the Weekly Standard. A native Mississippian, Moore and his wife Maria are the parents of five sons.
Resources from the Conversation
- Dan’s recommended biography on President Bush | Destiny and Power by Jon Meachum
- Dr. Moore’s recommended biography on Rev. Graham | A Prophet with Honor by William Martin
- 5 facts about George H.W. Bush (1924-2018)
- Good Men Are Hard to Find: Lessons from the Life of George H.W. Bush
- Barbara Bush, wife and mother of presidents, dies at 92
- 5 facts about John McCain
- Billy Graham Bore Witness for 99 Years
- 5 Facts about Billy Graham
- ERLC 2019 National Conference | Gospel Courage: Truth And Justice in a Divided World