In this episode, Josh, Lindsay, and Brent talk about the coronavirus upending life all over the U.S., justice in the case of Harvey Weinstein, the results of Big Tuesday, and NASA’s new Mars rover Perseverance. Lindsay also gives a rundown of this week’s ERLC content including a piece from Courtney Reissig on parenting and work, Neal Hardin on LGBT issues at BYU, and Russell Moore’s article “Don’t Quarantine the Great Commission.” Also in this episode, the hosts are joined by Dr. Randy Davis for a brief conversation about life and ministry.
About Dr. Davis
Dr. Randy C. Davis became the executive director of the Tennessee Baptist Mission Board in 2010 after 34 years of pastoral ministry, serving churches in Mississippi and Tennessee. Davis is a graduate of William Carey College, New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, and Southern Baptist Center for Biblical Studies. Davis and wife, Jeanne, have two adult daughters, Wendy and Beth, and four grandchildren.
- Understanding how men and women approach parenting and work: A new study reveals many women prefer working part time by Courtney Reissig
- “What this study does is provide us with the freedom to divide care and work according to what works for our family, while also showing us that mothers and fathers care both about the home and the marketplace.”
- Explainer: BYU removes section from honor code about homosexual behavior by Neal Hardin
- “The cultural pressure to change stances on the vast array of LGBTQ issues is being brought to bear on every Christian institution, and it won’t stop. Because of this, Christians need to know how to think through these issues well.”
- How meeting practical needs helps vulnerable families: A family restoration success story by Lindsey Teat
- Don’t Quarantine the Great Commission by Russell Moore
- Widespread alarm and misinformation, we recommend you follow live updates on Covid-19 from the Washington Post
- Pulling out all the stops to stem the tide, churches, schools, and major events across the nation are delayed, cancelled, or moving online.
- The NCAA has cancelled both the men’s and women’s basketball tournaments, the NBA and NHL have suspended play, and the MLB has ceased operations and delayed opening day.
- Russian moves toward extending Vladimir Putin rule until 2036
- North Korea launches rockets to test missiles
Politics & Culture
- Joe Biden wins big, becomes the presumptive nominee
- Harvey Weinstein faces justice, sentenced to 23 years in prison
- Has marriage become a luxury good?
On the Lighter Side
- Mars rover gets a new name — Perseverance
- Spring football (may) begin soon for the SEC
- Brent: Thriftbooks.com – so you can read if you happen to be quarantined.
- Lindsay: W.H.O. let the dogs out – a little levity for these anxious days.
- Josh: Pagans and Christians in the City: Culture Wars from the Tiber to the Potomac– a fun history of Christians, culture wars, and the conflict between the immanent and the sacred.
- Q: Is it okay for a husband and wife to be celibate within marriage?
Connect with us on Twitter
- Why Does God Care Who I Sleep With by Sam Allberry (The Good Book Company)
- The Weekly – ERLC’s rundown of news and culture delivered to your inbox every Friday