NASHVILLE, Tenn., June 2, 2014The Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention is set to host a National Conference on the issue of homosexuality and the future of marriage, Oct. 27-29 at the historic Opryland Hotel in Nashville, Tenn.
The conference will feature diverse and notable speakers such as “Daniel Akin,”:http://www.danielakin.com/ “Sam Allberry,”:http://www.stmarysmaidenhead.org/churchbuilder/view-doc.php?zonename=about&docid=17998 “Rosaria Butterfield,”:http://rosariabutterfield.com/ “J.D. Greear,”:http://www.jdgreear.com/ “Jennifer Marshall,”:http://www.heritage.org/about/staff/m/jennifer-marshall “Albert Mohler,”:http://www.albertmohler.com/ “Russell Moore,”:http://www.russellmoore.com/ “David Platt,”:http://www.brookhills.org/new/pastor.html “Dennis Rainey,”:http://www.familylife.com/about-us/biographies/board-of-directors/dennis-rainey “Christopher Yuan”:http://www.christopheryuan.com/main/index.html and others.
I see my primary mission as preparing the next generation of evangelical leaders to live in the culture as faithful Christians who are holding to the ancient truths of Christianity, including a bold presentation of the Christian sexual ethic, said ERLC President, Russell Moore. At the conference this fall, we will assemble leading thinkers and pastors on these issues to help equip a new generation to stand for marriage in tough times, to prepare us to be faithful people of the gospelwith a message of both truth and grace.
The event will equip attendees to defend marriage in the culture and strengthen marriage in the church. Conference speakers including authors such as Butterfield, Allbery and Yuan have written about a faithful Christians struggle with same-sex attraction.
Speakers will seek to answer the following questions:
- How do we effectively minister to those who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender?
- How has the divorce culture impacted marriage in our communities and our churches?
- What does sexual faithfulness look like for a same-sex attracted Christian?
- Why did God create marriage and why did he design it for the common good?
- How should a pastor counsel a same-sex couple that wants to join his church?
- How can churches minister to those who are single, dating, divorced or celibate?
- How can Christians show the love of Christ to gay family members or neighbors?
Registration is now available online at erlc.com/conference/registration/. A complete list of speakers can also be found “online.”:https://erlc.com/conference/speakers