WASHINGTON, D.C., Jan. 31, 2022—The Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention, will host a special online event, Tuesday, Feb. 1 at 11:00 a.m. EST, to discuss China’s human rights atrocities ahead of the 2022 Winter Olympics.
Event panelists include:
- Nury Turkel, Vice Chair of the U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom
- Rushan Abbas, Founder and Executive Director of Campaign for Uyghurs
- Brent Leatherwood, Acting President of the ERLC
- Michael Sobolik, Fellow in Indo-Pacific Studies, American Foreign Policy Council
During the event, panelists will address questions and topics such as:
- What do we know about the ongoing genocide of the Uyghurs in China?
- What should Christians know as they prepare to watch the Winter Olympics?
- How Christians can pray for the persecuted church and other vulnerable groups in China.
The ERLC has consistently advocated on behalf of the Uyghurs and condemned the CCP’s unconscionable human rights abuses against them and other ethnic minorities since 2019. The SBC was the first denomination to label the CCP’s heinous actions as a genocide of the Uyghur people.
On Jan. 19, ERLC’s Leatherwood sent a letter today to the CEO of NBC Universal, Jeff Shell, calling for the network to use its unique position in the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics to highlight the human rights abuses and genocide of the Uyghur people happening in China and to firmly refuse to broadcast Chinese propaganda.
Below are ERLC past assets calling attention to the plight of the Uyghurs.
- ERLC Commends Congress on Reaching Agreement on Uyghur Forced Labor Prevention Act
- ERLC supports Uyghur Forced Labor Prevention Act
- Letter to Secretary Blinken regarding Uyghur Forced Labor
- Letter to Secretary Pompeo Urging for an Official Genocide Determination
- U.S. announces genocide determination for the ongoing atrocities committed against Uyghurs
- The U.S. should oppose China’s forced labor practices
- How the Chinese Communist Party is persecuting Uyghur women
- First Denomination to Condemn Uyghur Muslim Genocide? Southern Baptists
Event registration is free and available online.