The American church is facing an abuse crisis. Churches should be a refuge for those who have experienced abuse. But, too often, survivors haven’t found the protection they deserve and the care they need from the church. Is your church doing all it can to be safe for survivors and safe from abuse?
The ERLC and SBC Sexual Abuse Advisory Group are partnering together to present Caring Well: Equipping the Church to Confront the Abuse Crisis, at the Gaylord Texan on Oct. 3-5, 2019. Through a mix of speakers, panels, and breakout sessions, attendees will listen to the stories of survivors, learn from the experience of experts, and leave equipped with the tools they need to address abuse.
We know many of you cannot come in person, but we want to invite you to join us for our mainstage sessions via our free livestream, sponsored by Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary. Here is a look at some of the sessions you may be especially interested in:
All times are CST (central standard time).
Thursday, October 3
Afternoon Session | 1:00-5:30 p.m.
- The Church’s Response to Abuse is a Gospel Issue | Russell Moore
- Abuse and Mental Health: Understanding the Long-Term Effects of Trauma | Kay Warren
- Panel: Sexual Abuse in the Southern Baptist Convention | Phillip Bethancourt (moderator), J.D. Greear, Beth Moore, Amy Whitfield, Ronnie Floyd
Evening Session | 7:00-9:15 p.m.
- Survivor Story | Jackie Hill Perry
- The Courage to Confront the Crisis of Abuse in the Church | Beth Moore
Friday, October 4
Morning Session | 10:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m.
- Panel: Protecting the Vulnerable: Understanding The Church’s Role in Preventing Abuse | Phillip Bethancourt (moderator), Samantha Kilpatrick, Carol Hogue, Kimberlee Norris
Evening Session | 7:00-9:25 p.m.
- Walking with the Broken: Caring Well for Friends and Family who Have Experienced Abuse | Jamie Ivey
- Winter Inside the Church and Hope for Spring | Boz Tchividjian
Saturday, October 5
Morning Session | 9:00-11:45 a.m.
- What Is a Girl Worth?: A conversation with Rachael Denhollander and Russell Moore on the Church’s Abuse Crisis
For more session information, check out the full schedule here. You can watch the livestream from any mobile device or computer with an internet connection – no special equipment is required. You will also be able to rewind the livestream once it has begun. Register here and we will send you more information and a reminder email when the event begins.
We look forward to you joining the conference from wherever you are in the world, via your own computer, tablet, or phone. Make sure to follow us on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook, and use the hashtag #CaringWell to see what others are saying about the conference!