After she and her husband David Kuo were in a car wreck late one Saturday night in 2003, Kimberly waited in the George Washington University Hospital for news of his condition. The newly married couple were at the top of their Washington careers at the time. David worked in the White House as a senior aide to President George W. Bush. Kimberly was an executive downtown having previously worked in the Senate as a top aide for Majority Leader Bob Dole. When David was finally wheeled out of the emergency room, he gave his wife a thumbs down. He was diagnosed with a brain tumor and given six months to live. Kimberly joined Jeff and Travis at the Leland House to share her family’s courageous story of living life to the fullest when battling a terminal illness and why physician-assisted suicide is not the answer for such a tragedy.
Kimberly Kuo has over 25 years experience as a Communications and Marketing professional in national politics, federal government, corporations and start-ups. Her experience in politics includes time as Press Secretary for Senate Majority Leader and then presidential candidate Bob Dole and vice presidential candidate Jack Kemp. She currently serves as Senior Vice President of Public Affairs, Communications and Communities at Coca-Cola Consolidated. In addition to opinion pieces, she also writes music, poetry and children’s fiction. She loves writing for and teaching young kids at Forest Hill Church in Charlotte, N.C., and her greatest joy is adventuring with her two children.
Resources from the Conversation
- Kimberly’s Q Ideas Talk: Six Months To Live
- Kimberley’s WORLD Magazine podcast: Cancer, marriage, and refusing to give up
- Kimberley’s Christianity Today article: Assisted Suicide and Real Death with Dignity
- CC podcast: Ben Mitchell on physician-assisted suicide; Feeling the Bern on religious freedom
- ERLC article by Matthew Arbo: How would you counsel someone interested in assisted suicide?
- ERLC article by Kathryn Butler: Is physician-assisted suicide ethical?
- ERLC explainer by Matthew Hawkins: How to reject physician-assisted suicide
- David Kuo’s book: Tempting Faith: An Inside Story of Political Seduction
- ERLC | Capitol Conversation Podcast