Pray for Hobby Lobby

By Staff
Mar 23, 2014

In 1 Timothy 2:1, Paul instructed Timothy

First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior,

We are asking you pray on behalf of our friends at HobbyLobby, the craft chain giant that is well known for operating according to the Christian principles of its owners, Jackie and Steve Green.

On Tuesday at 10:00 a.m. ET, the Supreme Court will hear oral arguments in two very important cases involving religious liberty and the freedom of conscience. Before the Court are Sebelius v. Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc. and Conestoga Wood Specialties Corp. v. Sebelius.

We are inviting you to join other organizations and churches to encourage people to pray for the Hobby Lobby Case on Tuesday. You can help us spread the word by changing the avatar on your social media accounts and posting with the hashtag #PrayForHobbyLobby.

The owners of Hobby Lobby and Conestoga Wood Specialties believe their religious liberty has been infringed due to the federal government’s “HHS Mandate,” a provision of the Affordable Care Act that requires all businesses to provide their employees with access to insurance plans that include contraception, abortion-inducing drugs, and sterilization.

These requirements conflict with the religious beliefs of many business and organizations, whether for-profit or non-profit, such that they feel they cannot—in good conscience—comply with government law. What’s really at stake is whether an individual can run his or her business according to the principles of their faith.

As Christians who live all of life under the lordship of Jesus Christ, we are compelled to bring our vocations under the direction of our faith. The owners of Hobby Lobby and Conestoga are making their complaint under the umbrella of the Religious Freedom Restoration Act, a bipartisan law designed to provide extra layers of protection for citizens who believe their religious liberty has been infringed.

This is a supremely important case, and will likely set a precedent for how religious liberty is thought of and prioritized for decades to come. Because religious liberty is a bedrock constitutional principle found in the First Amendment, the integrity of this “first freedom” isn’t limited just to Christians, but to Americans of all faiths.

For that reason, Christians should pray that the outcome of these cases would result favorably toward those who wish to exercise their constitutional right to religious liberty. How should Christians pray? Here is a sample prayer guide:

• God wants people to be free to seek him and to serve him (Acts 17:24-28). Pray for a favorable outcome. The cherished principle of religious freedom should receive the strongest constitutional protection it deserves.
  • God is Lord of the conscience, not government (Acts 5:29). Pray that the justices of the Supreme Court will understand the importance of the separation of the state from the church.
  • God can give understanding to make sound decisions (Prov. 2:6-8). Pray for those who disagree with us, that God would help them understand and respect the consciences of people of faith.
  • God can turn the hearts and minds of the justices to do his will (Prov. 21:1). Pray for the Supreme Court justices, that they would be receptive to the arguments being made passionately before them.
  • God can guide the mind and speech (Exod. 4:11-12). Pray for lead attorney, Paul Clement, who will be arguing on behalf of Hobby Lobby and Conestoga Wood. Ask God to give him clarity and wisdom, for his arguments to be persuasive, and for God to give him favor before the justices.

Here are some excellent resources:

Learn more about: Citizenship, , Christian Citizenship, Healthcare, Religious Liberty,

59 Comments (post your own) feed

1 On Mar 23, 2014, at 9:26pm, Peggy wrote:

I hope hobby lobby wins this I hate to lose this store I love it

2 On Mar 23, 2014, at 10:06pm, Cassie wrote:

Hobby Lobby is my all time favorite store.  I am and will continue to pray.  I appreciate the sample prayer guide.  Finding the right words can be hard sometimes.  God Bless!

3 On Mar 23, 2014, at 10:18pm, Loretta Edwards wrote:

These are our brothers.  THEY ARE FORGING THE ROAD BEFORE US TODAY. Please pray for this monumentous case.

4 On Mar 23, 2014, at 11:13pm, Karen Albino wrote:

This country was founded on religious freedom.  Why can’t a business operate without going against their beliefs?  There are thousands of store people can work at that provide these things.  Why pick on Hobby Lobby.  This is a thriving business that provides several jobs in this country.  They have a great & Honest working environment for their employees.  If people don’t like it find a job somewhere else.  Christians have to see Adult bookstores, strip clubs & other distasteful thing as they drive by with their families and no one complains about that.  Drive through Pennsylvania on Route 81 and you will see Huge billboards advertising massages and other thing with some pictures on them I would not want my grandchildren to see.  This country does not make sense to me any more.  The religious beliefs are wrong. The offensive and graphic things are “Their freedom to their rights”  VERY SAD !!!!!

5 On Mar 24, 2014, at 12:46am, Nancy Prien wrote:

This is a wonderful Christian family and because they close on Sundays should be no big deal. Should make no difference to anyone. Keep open please. Wonderful store.

6 On Mar 24, 2014, at 12:54am, Roger Hoerth wrote:

I will be praying for that God wil be the mist of the case and show favor. Nothing is impossible for God

7 On Mar 24, 2014, at 1:28am, Lana Grayum wrote:

There are people who have gained all kinds of “rights” in the past few years. Why does it seem so impossible for Christians to gain the right to religious freedom. Wasn’t that what our country was founded on to start with?  We hear the comment “God is dead”. He is not but he seems to be in the hearts of our country’s leaders

8 On Mar 24, 2014, at 1:46am, Nicolle Brown wrote:

I am a Christian in every sense of the word, however I believe in Freedom of choice. This is not an open shut case. But my question would be…If you don’t like how Hobby lobby operates , don’t work or shop there. Easy enough? Seems like a lot of attorney fees & tax payers money to dictate how a private organization can run there business

9 On Mar 24, 2014, at 3:07am, Christine Musson wrote:

I support Hobby Lobby in their request for Religious Liberty

10 On Mar 24, 2014, at 4:51am, Sharon wrote:

I will pray

11 On Mar 24, 2014, at 8:45am, Penni wrote:

Satan is like a roaring lion, roaming to and fro, seeking who he may devour, the Bible tells me so! This song comes to mind as I read this, this morning. The devil is big, but GOD IS SO MUCH BIGGER. I personally will be praying for all those involved tomorrow.

12 On Mar 24, 2014, at 9:41am, Mary Jo Dubie-Bezi wrote:

Praying for a positive outcome for Hobby Lobby and all of Christians in America.

13 On Mar 24, 2014, at 11:23am, Judy wrote:

I support Hobby Lobby…

14 On Mar 24, 2014, at 11:33am, Skye wrote:

I love Hobby Lobby and don’t know what I would do without it! It is my favorite store!!!

15 On Mar 24, 2014, at 11:38am, sherry Thacker wrote:

God is still on the throne he will prevail

16 On Mar 24, 2014, at 11:59am, Cheryl wrote:

First let me preface what I’m going to say that I support Hobby Lobby’s decision 100%. With that said Christ provides the foundation to our prayers in Matt. 6:5-15, to pray according to the Father’s will. The fact is that folks we are truly in what Matthew 24 classifies as the end times. This is just a precursor of things to come. Not trying to be a doomsday person but we must realize is that God’s thoughts and ways are higher than ours. With this being a pivotal case, don’t be discouraged if the decision is against HL. Rejoice because we’re one step closer to meeting our Savior face to face. :)

17 On Mar 24, 2014, at 12:56pm, Martha Pitt wrote:

they should be able to choose what coverage they want and if the employees want different they can pay for that part they want.

18 On Mar 24, 2014, at 1:19pm, Tammy Hendricks wrote:

I filled out the application for a possible job at a Hobby Lobby store. With the information you provide them, their employees could care less about what their insurance provides! They should have morals about them to begin with! Hey at least they have coverage! Quit trying to dictate what Hobby Lobby should provide their employees! Go pick on someone else! Or better yet leave us all alone!

19 On Mar 24, 2014, at 2:11pm, Kay Tracy wrote:

Leave it up to the individual business’s and their employees what they want. My prayers will be with you on Tuesday. Love Hobby Lobby!!!!

20 On Mar 24, 2014, at 3:24pm, Edie Means wrote:

What ever happened to ” Freedom Of Religion” ?
I realize our government is trying to dismantle the constitution, and our constitutional rights away one by one, but “We the people, in order to preserve” our nation need to stand up and give all out support to, not only to individuals, but companies like Hobby Lobby who are trying to preserve there rights! I say, God Bless in your fight, that should have never been an issue if we were still a free nation!!!

21 On Mar 24, 2014, at 3:26pm, Tony Black wrote:

As A Christian I believe that Christian companies ought to be able to decide what they will and will not cover for insurance.  I will definitely be praying.

22 On Mar 24, 2014, at 3:49pm, Margaret wrote:

Lord Jesus, thank You for how You have Blessed our country.
Please continue to protect our freedom and deliver us from
all evil in the government and in the whole world.Bless Hobby
Lobby for their faithfulness to You <3

23 On Mar 24, 2014, at 4:10pm, Janet F Broyles wrote:

This court case is more important than if the stores are going to be closed, people! This is about religious freedom. If Hobby Lobby loses their case then all Christians in the USA have lost a right to express Christian beliefs freely. It also means that more Christian businesses will close because they will not be allowed to manage their businesses based on their Christian beliefs.

24 On Mar 24, 2014, at 4:49pm, Judy Sacco wrote:

I totally agree with Karen Albino well said !!!!!!! It’s so sad that we Christains don’t speak up !!!!! We allowed one woman to remove prayer from school. Our Pastor always said at every sermon : If we don’t stand up for something we will fall for anything!!!! God Bless this world in Jesus’sweet name….

25 On Mar 24, 2014, at 6:27pm, Yvonne wrote:

We as Christian should never stop fighting for what we believe is right. Keep praying

26 On Mar 24, 2014, at 6:33pm, Norene Humphries wrote:

A great store, a great family.  May our Lord hear our prayers and grant favor in this case for Hobby Lobby.

27 On Mar 24, 2014, at 8:38pm, Jessica Hissong wrote:

This is sad… I pray that green family(hobby lobby) win’s… Chick fil A is another company that’s in the same boat.  We are to be free, we should be able to keep our faith.

28 On Mar 24, 2014, at 8:54pm, Jessica wrote:

hmmm - I think it may be ok to give to Ceasar what is Ceasar’s (Mark 12:17), and trust that God is sovereign in that too. Maybe their bigger witness would be to an employee who would want to take advantage of such provisions. But I do respect their humble boldness to represent our God as they feel compelled to do. I will be praying.

29 On Mar 24, 2014, at 8:58pm, Natalie Bergstresser wrote:

Bless you for standing up for Christ!

30 On Mar 24, 2014, at 9:12pm, Max Bergstresser wrote:

Freedom and democracy only exist when Christ dwells in the hearts of the people.

31 On Mar 24, 2014, at 9:41pm, Tracey Cook wrote:

I truly hope you win! We need to be able to stand with our religious beliefs and not be governed by them. The Govrnmt needs to remember how we were founded.

32 On Mar 25, 2014, at 12:44am, Shelia Hedrick wrote:

I love Hobby Lobby and believe in what they stand for. No one should have things pushed on them if they don’t believe in it. If people want the things they are trying to inforce go somewhere where it is offered. Don’t try and inforce on people who have Christisn Beleifs.

33 On Mar 25, 2014, at 6:03am, Ricky Trimnal wrote:

This case before the Supreme Court is really much bigger than Hobby Lobby. They have stood their ground against a administration that has run astray and stiffels religion and the freedom of it. Pray that the Supreme Court will intervene and rule in favor for them.

34 On Mar 25, 2014, at 6:40am, Roy Graham wrote:

It’s ironic to pray for a place that everything they sell supports human trafficking. Oh did we failed to mention that?

35 On Mar 25, 2014, at 7:02am, Barbara Blankenship wrote:

I think that their right to stand for their personal conviction.
People can choose to not work there if they believe they desire that right. But I love the fact that these company’s have a Godly stand. Hobby Lobby is the only place I buy my craft items. I support Christian based companies. Our Christian freedoms are denied. This country was founded on them. If you don’t like them, I believe you should move to where they are what you believe. Don’t take away my rights, because you choose to not want them. Leave! Find a country that believes the way you do & move there!

36 On Mar 25, 2014, at 7:24am, Kristina G wrote:

I think what people are failing to see here is that a) Not all Christians are against birth control. There are plenty of Christians who use it every day. I don’t really believe any insurance plan should cover abortion, but birth control (even Plan B, because unfortunately rape exists) should be available to everyone who chooses to use it. b) Allowing Hobby Lobby to NOT include this as part of their medical plan would open the door for other businesses to claim (perhaps unscrupulously) their rights or beliefs had been infringed on to avoid paying for premiums. Or claim that it’s against their religious beliefs to include ANY health plans (Christian Science, for example, eschews the use of doctors altogether). Besides, the Bible does speak of obeying the laws of the land.
I am a Christian, and Hobby Lobby is my favorite store, and I truly hope it doesn’t choose to close as this will create a great deal more harm than good. I am praying that God’s will be done.

37 On Mar 25, 2014, at 7:27am, Sam Michelle wrote:

Take out theChristians, and the government can manipulate against the Bible. I believe that Hobby Lobby will win, by the Will of God, but the government, as well as every other non-christian is trying to rid of Hobby Lobby so they would have complete control of the business world. Read Revelations

38 On Mar 25, 2014, at 7:38am, Cheryl wrote:

Love that the owners are standing up for what the Word says! I believe that God is pleased with them and that He will get the glory. He will come thru as I have seen time and time again! Love this store and what they stand for!!!!!! Thankful that a big business like this is not afraid to stand up and that they are still seeking God in all they do!

39 On Mar 25, 2014, at 7:55am, Diane Kirkland wrote:

I love Hobby Lobby, too, but I DON’T agree with corporations denying health insurance because of one or two things that MIGHT be implemented from the insurance—it may be the owners’ belief that abortion, contraception or sterilization is wrong, but does it give them the right to force that belief on all their employees?  I would imagine they are against Planned Parenthood as well, which does so much good for women who cannot afford care (I’m not talking about abortions, I’m talking about basic women’s health care).

Do they implore their male employees to not purchase condoms?  That’s a form of contraception, too.  Why don’t their just hire people who think just like them?  Oh, wait, that would be discrimination….

40 On Mar 25, 2014, at 8:06am, Amaranth wrote:

I used to work here, for 2 years.  It’s sad that Hobby Lobby would rather close their doors and have their employees lose their jobs than to offer birth control/contraceptives for health care.  I hope they don’t go out of business but they need to think of their employees too.

41 On Mar 25, 2014, at 8:29am, BarbaraS wrote:

I support Hobby Lobby!

42 On Mar 25, 2014, at 8:31am, Dina H wrote:

Praying for The Lord to protect the civil rights of His people. Hobby Lobby needs to stand strong on His Word, our
Lord JESUS!

43 On Mar 25, 2014, at 9:51am, Jan Sing wrote:

I have never been to Hobby Lobby that I am not aware of God! The beautiful Christian music through out this store is ever present and makes me thankful I know the words to each praise to God!! Thank you Hobby Lobby for putting God first in your business and for standing for Jesus Christ!!!

44 On Mar 25, 2014, at 9:51am, Lauren wrote:

I Support Hobby Lobby! I Love The Store

45 On Mar 25, 2014, at 10:22am, Jim Colbert wrote:

I stand behind Hobby Lobby 100% and salute their outstanding efforts they are making in the name of Jesus. Hobby Lobby is one of my favorite stores and always will be!

46 On Mar 25, 2014, at 10:33am, Erin wrote:

As a woman with endometriosis who needs these medicines to control the daily pain and keep me going and for whom surgery is the ultimate option, I find it difficult to support policies that can ultimately result in women being without the care that allows them to care for themselves and their families and be the active women, wives, mothers and Christians they are called to be. As a Christian I don’t want someone to tell me how to live out my faith. It’s a difficult situation for all involved.

47 On Mar 25, 2014, at 11:07am, Alan wrote:

This could potentially set a dangerous precedent that allows businesses to deny rights given by the government to the individual. Could a business refuse to provide insurance that covers blood transfusions or any other medical procedure/treatment they find violates their particular sect’s beliefs? This Act is law that guarantees rights to certain medical care; the religious views of the owner of a business should not interfere with the rights of its employees. You don’t condone contraception or the morning after pill? Don’t use them. Encourage your employees not to either by educating them in your beliefs if you like, but don’t take away their rights.

48 On Mar 25, 2014, at 11:24am, Ariel wrote:

I cannot support something like this. You are asking to pray for a company that doesn’t want to offer certain parts of health insurance that they do not agree with. Last time I checked, someone’s health decisions were their own personal choice, not their employer’s. I don’t tell my preacher what I decide to do with my health, because its none of his business. If I choose contraception, its between me and God. I agree with the comments about how this is an unfair situation for employees who don’t even get a choice in this matter. It had nothing to do with religion. Thats a cop-out if I’ve ever seen one. If Chick-fil-A can say they can’t support gay rights but still treat them as human beings, why can’t this company do the same?

49 On Mar 25, 2014, at 12:07pm, Carol wrote:

No one is asking Hobby Lobby to pay for condoms.. So that is a ridiculous analogy.
They are against plan B and abortion.  Plan B can be bought at a reasonable price outside of insurance.  Being asked to pay for abortion is outright nonsense even if your not religious!  BTW birth control can also be bought at a resonable price without insurance.  Most people know the owners are christian.  If you don’t like their ideals…DONT WORK there!!!!  How hard is that?  Don’t bid to do work on my house and then get ticked off if I ask you to not smoke or cuss on my property.  This is nuts!
Go Hobby Lobby! I support you!

50 On Mar 25, 2014, at 12:18pm, Gwen Spalding wrote:

I pray for God’s intervention.  I pray for our justice’s to remember our rights and support them in the way our forefathers meant them to be.  I pray for a great outcome in this for Hobby Lobby and all others involved.

51 On Mar 25, 2014, at 12:32pm, Shirley Kemp wrote:

I will hold Hobby Lobby up in prayer.  They are standing up for Christian beliefs and I support them all the way.  I shop there all the time and would hate to lose their stores.

52 On Mar 25, 2014, at 1:22pm, Katy Asay wrote:

After reading through the comments, I think that there is a lot of confusion about what this case is about.  It’s not surprising because the mainstream media has not accurately portrayed Hobby Lobby’s position.  It is my understanding that they do not take issue with their health care plan covering contraception.  However, they stand firm in their belief that abortion and abortion inducing drugs are not “health care” services. Health care services are to maintain our health; abortion destroys a life.  They are not “forcing their religious beliefs” on their employees. They are standing up for the sanctity and intrinsic worth of human life. Even if you do not agree with Hobby Lobby’s convictions, you must respect their commitment, that they are willing to close their successful business before they will be forced to contribute to the taking of a human life.

53 On Mar 25, 2014, at 4:20pm, Mary T. Kriesch wrote:

Hobby Lobby is a great company, and it is run according to the way that God would have it to be, the way that our United States was founded upon. The ones that don’t agree with this, should not shop or be associated with this issue, because it will not concern them. They need to have their eyes opened and turned from darkness to light, from the power of satan to God, that they might receive forgiveness of sin and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in Him. God is in control !

54 On Mar 25, 2014, at 9:09pm, Blake wrote:

I’m praying that Hobby Lobby will quit importing billions of dollars I merchandise from China whose 1 child policy ends up in forced abortions for billions of children. Is this not hypocrisy?

55 On Mar 25, 2014, at 10:52pm, Ray Weaver wrote:

If court goes against Hobby Lobby they might as well remove the constitution and we should impeach all of them along with our current President and all democrats

56 On Mar 26, 2014, at 8:30am, Harold wrote:

I support hobby lobby, I believe every employer should join them in this suit.

57 On Mar 26, 2014, at 8:43am, Joan Olds wrote:

I am distressed at the way our country is going.  I will be praying for Hobby Lobby, for the Justices to make a right decision to protect our Religious Freedom, and for the lawyer Paul Clement.  I will also be praying for a revival to sweep our land.

58 On Mar 26, 2014, at 2:00pm, Julie wrote:

Last time I checked Hobby Lobby purchased from Chinese Companies, not the Chinese government. This in no way supports human trafficking. Wow. God Bless Hobby Lobby!

59 On Mar 27, 2014, at 10:08pm, Peggy B. wrote:

God bless you during this trial in your life right now. I respect your stand for what you believe and I know God is blessed by your show of belief in Him and His creations. Keep the faith!