Jeff Pickering and Travis Wussow welcomed California pastor Rolland Slade to the roundtable to talk about his journey from business to the pulpit, his new role as Chairman of the SBC Executive Committee, and how his church in San Diego has built ministry partnerships with their city government officials.
“I think we’re in the middle of something happening to bring us back to being the church God wanted us to be.” – Rolland Slade, Senior Pastor of Meridian Baptist Church and SBC Executive Committee Chairman
A native of San Diego, California, Pastor Rolland E. Slade has been married to the former Adrienne C. Jewell since 1981, and is the proud father of Rolland “Jay”, Ryan, and Alexandra. Pastor Rolland accepted his call into the ministry in 1987 and he shares that story in our conversation. In January 2004 Pastor Rolland was installed as the Senior Pastor of the Meridian Baptist Church. Since that time the Meridian Church has experienced the revitalization of their membership as well as ministries. The church has become involved in several key community partnerships on initiatives ranging from child welfare, violence prevention, personal health, and now efforts to help house the homeless. In June 2020, Pastor Slade was elected as the Southern Baptist Convention’s Executive Committee chairman, making history as the SBC EC’s first African American to serve as chair.
Resources from the Conversation
- Learn more about Rolland Slade, Senior Pastor of Meridian Baptist Church
- Read the Baptist Press article about Slade’s election | In historic election, SBC Executive Committee elects first African American chair
- Read the San Diego Union Tribune article about their homeless ministry | A village of tiny houses coming to El Cajon church site
- Keep up with the ERLC’s work regarding Covid-19
- Download the Courage and Civility Church Kit
- Download the Caring Well Hiring Guide
- Subscribe to ERLC’s Policy Newsletter